- when you make use of our website
- when you apply for and use certain services; and
- from the Tracker unit in your vehicle, if applicable.
Electronic Communications and Transactions Act 2002 ("ECT Act")
We voluntarily subscribe to the principles, outlined in Section 51 of the ECT Act, which govern your right to have your personal information kept private. We briefly outline these principles below: We will only collect, disclose, collate, process and store ("use") your personal information with your express permission unless legally required to do so, and will only use such information for the lawful purpose for which it is required. We will disclose in writing the specific purpose for which we use, request and store your personal information. We will also keep a record of that personal information and the specific purpose for which we collect it. We will not use your personal information for any purpose, other than that which we disclosed to you, unless you give us your express permission to do so, or unless we are permitted to do so by law. We will not keep or store your personal information for a period longer than is necessary to achieve the lawful purpose for which it is required. We will keep and maintain accurate records, as required in terms of the ECT Act, of any third party to whom your personal information is disclosed and the purpose for which your personal information was disclosed.
How is your personal information used and disclosed?
You agree that we may use the information, including the personal information we hold about you in the following ways:
- to identify you;
- in order for us to process your instructions or requests;
- in order for us to ensure that we provide you with the best possible service at all times;
- in order to ensure that we are in a position to live up to our vision of “taking back tomorrow”;
- in order for us to ensure that we meet your needs, we may collect and analyse your personal information and combine all the information that we have about you to compile a profile of you in order for us to personalise and tailor our services to meet your specific needs;
- in aggregate form, for internal business purposes such as generating statistics and developing our strategic and marketing plans;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our services, when you choose to do so;
- to carry out any contracts that may form between us;
- to notify you about changes to our service;
- once we have collected and analysed your personal information, we may send you promotional material or details which we think may be of interest to you. If any of this promotional information relates to products, promotions, news or services of an affiliate party, and if you indicate that you would like more details, we may inform the affiliate party to contact you directly. We will however only inform an affiliate party to contact you directly if you have indicated that this is agreeable to you. You have the option to opt out of receiving any marketing or other material from us or an affiliate party at any stage; and
- to share certain of your personal information and aggregated data (including make and model of your vehicle, frequently travelled areas and theft and hi-jacking statistics) with an affiliate party (which includes our business partners).
What is personal information?
Personal information refers to information that identifies or relates specifically to you, for example, your name, email and payment records, and will include information that is not personal of nature, but is information collected, intercepted, collated, viewed, processed, stored and/or maintained through the telematics device in your vehicle, if applicable. In short, any information that we know about you will be regarded as your personal information.
How we collect your Personal Information?
Whenever you complete an application form, contact us electronically or telephonically or use the services offered by us, we collect your personal information.
Disclosures of your personal information
We will not sell, rent or provide your personal information to unauthorised entities or other third parties, for their independent use, without your express consent. If at any stage, after you have given us your consent, you no longer wish us to use or share your personal information with an affiliate, you may at any stage withdraw your consent however, your personal information may also be shared under the following circumstances:
- when required by the laws of the Republic of South Africa. In such instances, we reserve the right to disclose your personal information as required in order to comply with our legal obligations, including but not limited to complying with court orders, warrants, subpoenas, service of process requirements or discovery requests;
- under special circumstances where we have reason to believe that such disclosure is necessary to identify, contact or bring legal action against a party who may be breaching our website terms and conditions or may be causing injury to or interference with (either intentionally or unintentionally) our rights or property, other users, or anyone else that could be harmed by such activities.
Protection of your personal information
We value the information that you choose to provide us with and we will take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from loss, misuse or unauthorised alteration. The information we maintain concerning our customers is stored in databases that have built-in safeguards to ensure the privacy and confidentiality of that information. However, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure and we cannot guarantee the security of your information transmitted to our website. Any transmission of your information to our website is entirely at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
When you use the services or facilities provided by us, you may be given a user name and password. You are responsible for maintaining the secrecy and confidentiality of your user name and password. Please do not share your password with anyone.
Update of your personal information
If you ever want to update or correct any of your personal information held by us, you can update and correct your information yourself by logging onto MyTracker, or contact Tracker via email or telephonically.
Which laws apply
How do you contact us?